I too suffer from some severe local noise, of several varieties, which
comes and goes depending on time of day, day of week etc. So I picked
up a DX Engineering NCC-1 here and am happy with it. It's well made
and the control knobs are *big* and very smooth, a pleasure to
operate.

It integrates nicely with the K3, inserted between the K3 antenna OUT
and antenna IN jacks. I have a horizontal trap dipole which I use as
the RX antenna on the K3 when I need to fight noise. A vertical
doublet antenna or inverted L is used as the transmit antenna, but I
also use these as the noise sense antennas when the NCC-1 is in-line.

To do this, the horizontal antenna goes to antenna port A on the NCC-1
(receive antenna input),  K3 antenna OUT (from the transmit antenna)
goes to antenna port B on the NCC-1 (noise antenna input) and the
output of the NCC-1 goes to the K3 antenna IN. Now I have 3 choices:
If I then select the RX antenna on the K3, the NCC-1 is inserted and I
use the horizontal antenna for receive. If I don't select the RX
antenna on the K3, the NCC-1 is bypassed, and the transmit antenna is
used for receive. If I select the RX antenna on the K3, but turn the
NCC-1 OFF, then I receive on the horizontal antenna, but the signal
passes straight through the NCC-1 from antenna port A to the output
without modification (for some local noise that's all that's needed).
K3 KEY OUT goes to NCC-1 T/R CTRL to put it in bypass mode when the K3
is keyed.

Cancellation of local noise seems to work well with this setup, using
a full size vertical as the noise sense antenna, and the horizontal
antenna as the receive antenna. The NCC-1 can provide a very deep null
on the horizontal antenna for vertically polarized noise which is
"heard" better on the vertical. The trick is to correctly balance the
levels of the two antenna inputs on the NCC-1. The balance and phase
controls are very precise and repeatable, and the phase control has
great range. Having the P3 to look at helps in identifying the noise
and finding what can be a rather sharp null. So far, the noise
canceller has proven helpful in dealing with many (but not all) local
noise problems and I'm glad I have it when I need it.

Of course no two stations are identical. An alternate setup might
involve a separate noise antenna (usually vertical) on NCC-1 antenna
port B, with K3 antenna OUT going to NCC-1 antenna port A. In this
case the K3 transmit antenna is used for receive at all times, but the
NCC-1 is bypassed if the RX antenna is not selected on the K3. Another
might involve dedicated noise and receive antennas, with the NCC-1
output connected to the K3 antenna IN. The NCC-1 is designed to work
with the various active antennas offered by DX Engineering, one of
which might make a good noise sense antenna.

Bob NW8L