Whatever the genesis of the LSB/USB convention on the ham bands, this
conversion scheme wasn't it. Mixing a 9 MHz USB signal with a 5 MHz VFO will
produce a USB output on either 4 MHz or 14 Mhz. The sidebands only get
inverted in a mixer when you subtract the SSB signal from a higher frequency
LO.

This "ham legend" has persisted literally for generations despite frequent
debunking. Maybe we can eradicate it by teaching our grandkids that "We had
to use LSB back then because DSP hadn't been invented yet."

John, KU4AF
Pittsboro, NC

w5tvw wrote