On 11/30/2011 6:07 PM, David Herring wrote:
> Olli,
>
> On most other rigs on the planet, the settings are dictated by the position
> of the knobs and switches.  Pull the plug on them and whatever computing
> faculties are present in the rig will simply reboot their software and
> continue on as normal the next time power is applied.

Hogwash, at least with the current/recent rigs from ALL the major
players. Many of the controls on these radios, just like the K3, are
rotary encoders or push buttons that have no 'position'. When the radios
start up, they go back to where they were because they stored the
operating conditions IMMEDIATELY when changes were made. For whatever
reason, Elecraft has decided NOT to do things that way, and things can
get screwed up if a K3 loses power without being powered off with the
power switch. A major shortcoming in my opinion, especially for a radio
targeted at the DXpedition market, where continuity of power is often
questionable....

73, Ross N4RP

> The K3 is more software defined than that.  The settings are NOT necessarily
> dictated by the position of the knobs and switches.  The settings are defined
> by what's been stored in memory, which is a result of the last change in knob
> and switch position, not necessarily where the knob or switch is now.
>
> When you power down the K3 using the front panel power button, this sends an
> instruction to the computer to save all this information in an orderly and
> proper manner for next time, and then power off.
>
> When you pull the plug, the computer in the K3 doesn't get the opportunity to
> save this stuff out in an orderly fashion.  99% of the time it's no problem.
> But pull the plug while the computer happens to be doing a routine save of
> this information, so that not all gets saved or saved properly (as an
> example), and you could wind up with a collection of settings that are
> inconsistent or self-contradicting.  At that point, when you power on next
> time the computer hasn't got a hope of figuring out what to do.  Your rig has
> just become hosed.  You'll need to reset everything back to a generic state
> and start over.
>
> I don't have first hand knowledge of other SDR rigs, but I imagine Elecraft
> is not the only one with this "feature."  (I don't call it a problem because
> it isn't...it's exactly how the architecture is designed to work)
>
> I hope that helps.
>
> Dave
> AH6TD
>

> On Nov 30, 2011, at 12:35 PM, Oliver Dröse wrote:
>
>> Hi Ron,
>>
>> the arguments are told over and over again ("it is like a computer, etc.")
>> for the K3 and KPA500. Still I do not see WHY it is possible with every
>> other transceiver and PA on earth to simply shut down power (disconnecting
>> from mains) without first switching it off and without any possible
>> problems? They use the same "computer technique" inside ...
>>
>> Just curious. ;-))
>>
>> 73, Olli - DH8BQA

FCC Section 97.313(a) “At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum
transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.”