Joe,

You may recall that the subject of K3 "Mush" was discussed on the K3
Contesters Forum earlier this year, and that I suggested that the Group
Delay Variations introduced by the narrower bandwidth roofing filters might
well be the cause of the "Mush" problem. The recordings of K3's audio sent
to me by two owners of the K3 supported this thought, as did the plots made
by another K3 owner of the Delay vs. frequency introduced by roofers of
differing bandwidths.

A second thought, which I could not post before leaving Scotland, was that
the termination of the roofing filter would seem to vary when the HAGC
becomes activeThis raises two  further points:

 1) "What effect does an active HAGC have on a roofer's Group Delay
Variations?"

 2) "What effect does an active HAGC have on a roofer's Output Odd Order
Intercepts (in and outside of the filter's passband), and does this increase
the level of filter generated IMD products enough to create audible "mush"?

Unfortunately adding a simple resistive pad to isolate the roofer's output
from the HAGC's IF circuitry could increase the overall Noise Figure of the
receiver too much.

It is my understanding that not all K3s exhibit this "mush problem". This
does not surprise me because the Delay characteristics of the roofers are
probably not specified to keep their cost within affordable limits - i.e.
some K3 roofers of x bandwith might exhibit fairly constant delay vs.
frequency, others might be quite "wild".

73,

Geoff
LX2AO