This is a show-stopper of a question. I have been running PSK for a
number of years, and have never observed anyone running split. With an
exceedingly narrow-band mode such as PSK31, it should not be necessary,
although occasionally someone will drop down right on top of your
offset, either because he can't hear either side of the QSO or because
he is being careless. QRM happens. Occasionally one sees people
operating with multiple sidebands (an overdrive problem), and
occasionally there will be the usual AGC pumping by very strong
stations, but normally even at hyperactive times, the 4 kHz or so that
PSK operators self-allocate is plenty to accomodate everyone. Sometimes
(as in contests, hint hint) RTTY and/or CW operators ride roughshod over
PSK.

I would actually recommend using a separate program (I prefer FLDIGI)
for digital methods, as the degree of oversight of the local part of the
spectrum is better (unless you are operating with a P3). After a fair
amount of floundering around, I have settled on FLDIGI driving a
SignaLink USB box into my K3/P3 rig, but this is perhaps a matter of
personal preference. I have used this on a K2, a Flex 3000, and the
present K3/P3. FLDIGI runs on a very wide variety of platforms (WIN XP,
WIN 7, MAC, Linux, etc), and is a very friendly, uncluttered control
program. I use it a lot for RTTY as well as PSK31, PSK63 and other
digital modes. If FLDIGI is "too fancy," then either DigiPan or Airlink
Express work well and require much less computer power. DigiPan works
just fine on my netbook. There is other software, but much of it is
badly "overgrown" and represents very poor programming practice IMNSHO.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====

On 12/6/2011 12:22 PM, Ralph K1ZZI wrote:
> Using PSK D today for the first time ever, I was not able to get split to
> work.  After setting both VFO's to PSK, then pushing split resulted in "SPL
> N/A" message?  CW, SSB and RTTY always work perfect so I'm wondering what I'm
> doing wrong with PSK?  Is split invalid for PSK?  Thanks.
>
> Ralph K1ZZI

Sent from my lovely old Dell XPS 420