Being on the west coast I'm not sure I'll be able to do you much good
but I'll try.  I sometimes hear stations that Kevin doesn't particularly
in the QRN season.  At the time of the 40m ECN the band is a little
short for the east coast from here but I usually hear K1THP a few dB
above the noise.  My propagation predictor says its usually a very lossy
double F-layer hop and marginal with a 5 watt or less signal.  Much
better chance a station in the mid-west will be able to relay.

Keep trying.  Someone will get you through.

73,

Brian, K0DTJ