This is a new (but not my first k3). It has the KPA3,
KAT3, KRX3, KXV3A and P3. I have 2 antennas connected to the KAT3. Ant1 is a
beam, Ant2 is an 88’ long dipole fed with ladder line to an Elecraft 4:1 balun
then with coax to the rig. The KAT3 normally tunes it 1:1 on 80/40/30/20, which
are the only bands I use it on.

Today on the 30m band I heard a dx station working a
pileup up. I pushed A>B,Split and Sub. When I keyed the K3 to call the DX, I
got the HIGH SWR message.
Now when I tap ATU TUNE, the SWR maxes out, power out drops, the relays go
crazy, it tunes to 2:1, power goes to whatever I have it set for and tuning
stops.

It only does this on 30m. It tunes to 1:1 on the other bands. If I switch to
ANT1 on 30m it tunes to 1:1.3. Same with ANT1, SPLIT and SUB selected. My K2
with KAT100 tunes the same antenna to 1:1 on 30m. I’ve had this antenna up for
several
years and it works as well as you would expect, it’s only about 35 feet in the
air.

Yesterday it did this same thing, but after trying to locate the source of the
problem for awhile, I powered down and disconnected everything from the back of
the K3. Then moved the K3 to a different location because I wanted to bypass
the antenna switch and hook directly to the coax coming from the balun. With
just
the antenna and power supply connected I tried the
antenna on 30m and continued getting 2:1 SWR. But, this is strange, I placed
the K3 back to its normal location, reconnected everything and when I tuned the
dipole on 30m it went to 1:1. I had a qso with it on 30m last night and the swr
was fine. Today it was fine until I went A>B, SPLIT and SUB to call the DX.
Then I keyed and got the HIGH SWR again.

That’s where I am now. It shows full power out even though SWR is at 2:1. I
can’t duplicate the problem on any of the other bands. The K3 is only a few
weeks old. I can’t remember if I was ever able to do an ANT TUNE after doing
SPLIT/SUB on 30m, probably not. I have the Auxilary antenna connected to the
BNC. KRX3 in Config is set to Ant=Atu.

I’ve tried everything I can think of. Why did it go HIGH SWR the first time I
used the SUB rcvr? I did the memory clear for the KAT3 but it made no
difference.

I hope someone can help me.  Thanks,