From: Joe Subich, W4TV [mailto:li...@subich.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:21 AM
To: Dean Straw
Cc: j...@audiosystemsgroup.com; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Balun at input or output of tuner

> I used a bifilar wound CM choke at the input of the ARRL high-powered
> tuner described in late editions of "The ARRL Antenna Book." It had 12
> bifilar turns of #10 AWG Formvar wire on a 24-inch diameter OD Type 43
> core. (Nowadays I'd probably use a more optimal Type 31 mix.) In
> testing the input balun (aka CM choke) 1500 W of RF at 29.7 MHz was
> applied for 60 seconds. The #10 wire in the balun got warm to the
> touch (after the RF was shut off!) but the core remained cool, as it
> should when there are no common-mode currents, only differential-mode
> current in the bifilar-wound transmission line.

Moving this discussion away from the tuner and to the feedpoint of the
antenna ... I would never use a bifilar wound CM choke with a high HF
antenna.  Years ago I tried to use a well known, third party high power
"balun" on a triband antenna with a reputation for blowing its OEM
(fuse) balun.  That attempt was spectacularly unsuccessful on 15 meters
where the 90-100 Ohm Zo of the bifilar winding coupled with a "line length"
of slightly over 12 feet transformed the normally benign 50 Ohm SWR of the
antenna into something that was poor across the entire band.

With an antenna supporting more than three bands, it is likely that the
transformer effect would impact at least one band!

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV