I think we all know that the KX3 *is* a better radio (performance,
ergonomics, etc.) than the FT-817.

Nevertheless we should also keep in mind that the '817 is now 10 year old
technology and it was a real innovative product when it hit the market back
then! I still find it unbelievable how to put all that features into such a
small radio with quite usuable performance (especially if you know that 1/4
of it is just the battery compartment, hi). So bashing it now is probably
not right as we compare old apples and fresh oranges here. ;-))

Nevertheless one could argue why I, K, Y do not come out with a new portable
transceiver in the same size but with today's technology (DSP) and new
features. I could imagine they already have something on the drawing board
as they have access to the same technology (DSP chips, etc.) as Elecraft. I
am sure there are interesting times ahead ... but Elecraft is clearly
leading the crowd. ;-))

Anyway, I for one will probably stick with the KX3 'cause Elecraft's
philosophy, i.e. radios for hams produced by hams, is really hitting the
nail on it's head. The K3 is the most ergonomic (contest) radio I've ever
used (besides the best performance I ever had, too ;-)). And the KX3 will be
no different. This alone already made me an Elecraft addict. ;-)) Now I just
need to find out how to earn more money to buy even more Elecraft products.
;-))

73, Olli - DH8BQA
K3 #4546, KPA500 #431, KX3 #???
http://www.dh8bqa.de