Hi All,

I read the comments by Doug, KR2Q, (and Wayne's response as well), and while
I tend to agree with much of Doug's analysis, I have a serious question.
Doug infers that the "outstanding" specs for the KX3 are superfluous when
operating in the field.  I honestly don't understand his point.  I suspect
I'm missing something or not connecting the dots right.

For one thing, when I go to the field, which tends to be fairly often, I
usually have better antennas there than at home.  That doesn't say anything
very good about my home setup, but I have antenna restrictions and I live in
the desert.  Setting up a decent antenna in the field isn't necessarily that
difficult, unless you are in a big hurry.  Trees or not, I can have a fairly
decent dipole at 40 feet in about 5 minutes.  Alternatively, I can use
something like an end fed half wave, or a vertical arrangement of some sort.
If I have trees, so much the better.  I also have a Buddipole system, but I
tend to use it as a Buddistick, which works very well.  In any event,
whether I'm at home or out camping, I find plenty of reason to appreciate a
better radio.

The late, but welcome, arrival of our current sunspot cycle has certainly
enhanced activity on the bands.  Signals are often very LOUD, and not that
far apart.  I agree that contests and pile-ups exacerbate things, but it
seems to me that there isn't that much difference in conditions regardless
of where I operate.

It is certainly understandable that folks would immediately ponder the
"trail friendly" qualities of the KX3.  Anything small and light leads you
to that as an option.  However, I don't think Elecraft approached this
design with that as their main objective.  Rather I think they were trying
to enhance versatility.  In other words, trying to make a small version of
the K3, and as close to a K3 as they could get.  I'm remembering something
from a number of years back, when the KX1 was fairly new.  I commented that
I had even operated my KX1 while sitting in bed.  Wayne responded that he
had done that too!  So, maybe what Wayne really was trying to do was come up
with a way to take his K3 to the bedroom!  Hi.

Anyway, I don't think the challenge was just to make a smaller radio.  I
think it was making a really good radio smaller.  To do the former only
trumps a few alternative radios.  To do the latter trumps a bunch of other
radios--at least in versatility.  That was, in my view, the real
objective--versatility.  Maybe that's not exactly the word they had on the
flip chart during the brain storming sessions about designing the KX3, but I
tend to think it at least partially describes their objective.  For a long
time I've wished I could be a "fly on the wall" when they discuss this
stuff!

Dave W7AQK