This is actually not quite true. The original Mac had some of the library code
in ROM - Quickdraw, the file system, and various IO drivers come to mind, but
the OS was most definitely supplied on floppy disk, and the disk was absolutely
required for the Mac to boot and run. Updates to the OS were applied on mini
floppies for quite some time. Also, over time things like the file system
(going from MFS to HFS), drivers, and most other items were moved to disk.
There was a 2x speed advantage to running from ROM instead of RAM, but that
quickly disappeared as the Mac hardware evolved. By the time the Mac II was
introduced, everything was on disk except for the boot code.

Yes, I have been programming Macs since the original 128K Mac. I still have two
of those around here, and both booted last time I tried. Still have the
original loose-leaf version of "Inside Macintosh" also...

Now I feel old…

Jack B, W6FB

p.s., I can't think of anyone who would even consider supporting products that
have had the firmware modified by non-company programmers…
Your assessment is right-on in that respect! Embedded control systems
(especially radios) are kept very tight for a reason.