My biggie was the dishwasher...documented here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak5x/6595335923/in/photostream
Electronic motor control seems to be the latest QRN maker, or would Plasma TV's
win that award?...My noise was from DC to Daylight all bands S9.  The P3 was
very handy in tracking this down.

With a AM radio the buzz will get louder the closer you are to the offending
device.  BC radios usually have some null points off the end of the ferrite BC
antennas giving you some directivity.    There are some tips in the ARRL RFI
3rd edition that are helpful, as well as the AC Power Interference Handbook by
Loftness, KB7KK.  These are good reference books to have. A quick glance at
"The Handbook" index did not show RFI as a covered subject, but I may of missed
it.

Powering down the house is helpful but not if the offending device is on
batteries :)

On Jan 18, 2012, at 9:41 PM, David Dietrich wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Could someone please explain the proper way to track down RF noise in and
> around my house?  More often than not, I always have S9+ noise on 40 Meters,
> making anything but really strong signals (S9+) audible above the noise.  I
> have only had a few instances where the noise was below S9 on 40.  I know I
> have to power down the house and then bring it up one circuit at a time with
> my radio on battery power.  I also know I am supposed to use a handheld AM
> radio to listen as I walk around the house.  I don't know what I should be
> listening for, or where to tune on AM to hear what I am supposed to hear.
> Now that I am getting back into operating more regularly, I would really like
> to see where some of this noise is coming from; and reduce or eliminate it if
> at all possible even if it means shutting something off while I am on the air.
>
> 73,
>
> David, KC9EHQ
> K1-4 s/n 2051
> K2/10 s/n 7164