Jim,

With Elecraft gear, set the VFO frequency to the center channel
frequency for CW - the note you will hear from the other station should
be at the setting of your sidetone pitch, and you will transmit at the
channel center frequency.
Yes, that is different than the suppressed carrier frequency that you
must use in USB.
CW in SSB is no help here either - the offset is not 1.5 kHz.

73,
Don W3FPR