Mike,

I think that the second antenna port (without a tuner) was not high on
the list of the designcriteria when the K3 started off. Changing a full
grown product and full grown production line now is not wise. Not that
it cannot be done, but how much must one invest to get this done and how
many new K3's will have be sold to make a profit if many of the new k3
owners will take a tuner anyway? (I have one).

If your wish was on the list in the beginning and you were part of the
'inner circle' and fieldtestteam, and many others would have backed this
wish, the second antennaport would have been there. What I see is that
Elecraft gets a lot of the designcriteria from listening to customers.
This reflector is one of the important infochannels for that purpose. I
think the designteam of the K3 probably got 95% right.
IMHO they missed the 6m sensitivity thing. If most customers and the
'inner circle' are HF orientated, who would have thought of needing a
lower MDS on 6m. I would not have either! I am a HF man. But anyway,
they got that on solved with the piggy-back pre-amp.

But who am I to judge anyone? I was not there when decisions had to be
made. Nor was I part of any 'inner circle' or fieldtestteam. What I do
know is that now that I have a ful loaded K3, it amazes anyone at my
radioclub when we use it in a contest. (Of all the guys there, I'm the
only Eelecraft user). Others say that they love the RX, the use of the
IF-out (softrock-psdr-if-cwskimmer etc), the diversity reception, the
flexibility of the rig, sending special CAT-commands with the
F9-F12-keys to the K3, etc. And I agree.

I have my own frustration though. Just have to bring this up again. The
L-mix-R has so many options. Why not implement a Ab-Ba option? Left
channel "Ab" is normal volumelevel A mixed with -6dB (or so) level of
channel B and the right channel the other way around. I have asked for
this several times and it is only a firmware thing next to the A-b,
A-Ab, Ab-b, Ab-Ab, Ab-A, b-Ab, b-b, b-A, A-A.  Oh well, if I'm the only
person that would like this feature implemented...

73 to all,
Arie PA3A