Bill,

Yes, good lesson in ohm's law, that too often is overlooked.

So the current draw dropped for 20A to 11.7A.  That means you were
heating your lamp cord with 8.3A at 12.7v (= 105w).  Not necessarily
bad on a cold winter's night (humour)!  But actually a waste of
electrical power and perhaps a safety issue.

I recently wired a 150w amp to a 28v PS (assume 250w dc load), the
wiring has to carry 9A.  I ran some #12awg zip cord
(red/black).  Seeing about 0.5v drop in the cable, which is about
4-foot long, under load.

This is temp as the PS and amp will be installed in a 19-inch wide
standard cabinet where the dc cabling will be about 12-inch.  MY 300w
HF amp will also run from this PS and needs about 4-feet dc
wiring.  I guess a swap is indicated.  the 300w amp draws 20A which
might even suggest 10awg wiring?

The real ohms law test is the 50v 50A draw (2500w) that will be made
by the 1100w 6m sspa.  I got some #8 for that (doubled up).

73, Ed - KL7UW

Thanks to the many who pointed out that the K3 draws a high current even at
low power once you get above the 12 watt level, due to the bias for the
power amp. I never considered this, and so when I made up a power cable to
operate indoors with my MFJ 4225 switching power supply, I used a single
light weight lamp cord at six feet long and a cigar lighter plug for the
power cord. My reasoning being I would only operate low power, not more than
30-35 watts indoors with my antenna right over my head. So, either the lamp
cord was too light, or the cigar lighter plug had too much drop for the
current being drawn, and so the current meter in the K3 was indicating 20
amps being drawn at only 30 watts output.
Once I fixed the power cord by using two #18 ga. lamp cords in parallel to
spade lugs rather than the cigar lighter plug, the K3 now draws 11.73 amps @
12.7 volts, with 35 watts output,  from the MFJ 4225 power supply, which
seems more normal than the previous 20 amps at the same power out setting.

I hope my experience saves someone else some grief.

73, Bill, k6mgo

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45