I have some mixed feelings about this, but I think it's generally for the
better (I still can't believe I'm saying that). For a long time I was
against no code, less code, etc. Like many others I took all of the various
speed CW tests to get to Novice, General and Extra. I felt that many of the
new hams were "getting off easy". I still feel partly that, but then I read
things like the bands are much more empty than they were, myself being off
the air more often than not included. I suppose it's a good thing to get
more on HF to hopefully keep the bands a little more active. I have friends
who have absolutely no interest in CW that for years have wanted to get on
HF. They either didn't have the time or the determination to learn CW
especially if they think they aren't going to use it.  I think because of
this some will change, but not much. I know a lot of No-coders in our club
who eventually learned CW because they wanted to build things such as a K1
and use it. I predict there may be an increase in digital modes such as
PSK-31, but CW won't be going any time soon. I'll still be stubborn and say
that I had wished they keep the 5wpm requirement for extra. My friend even
agrees with that.

James Kern
Network Administrator
Kurt S. Adler, Inc.