To be clear, Rick, is the KAT3 in BYPASS when you adjust the Palstar tuner?
It must be. Then, when you switch in the KAT3, you need to do a "tune" in
which it will adjust its settings to a 1:1 SWR on the link between the KAT3
and the Palstar.

There's no advantage to having both tuners in the system. In normal use one
or the other should be in bypass.

Does the power jump happened when feeding a dummy load? If not, then it's
certainly RF getting "loose" and triggering the power metering circuit in
the K3. That usually happens at some critical power level, which fits with
the SWR reported suddenly jumping above a specific power. Normally it's RF
on the outside of the coax shield that finds its way back to the K3.

Often, using a remote tuner will cure that sort of problem by providing some
physical isolation between the K3 itself and the tuner in a separate box.

I suspect you have something in the range of 60 feet of open line feeding
your dipole. Such a feed line inverts the impedance. Since the dipole shows
a relatively low impedance at the center, that means the end of the feed
line in the shack has a very high impedance and high RF voltage. A 4:1 balun
can help but it's no panacea in the presence of high RF voltages.

Ron AC7AC