In a message dated 7/21/05 5:40:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Who controls the scope and format of the licensing exams?

The exams are made up of the required number of questions drawn from the pool
for that test element. The questions and answers are prepared by the Question
Pool Committee (QPC) and submitted to the FCC for approval. Anyone can write
questions and send them to the QPC for inclusion in the pools.

The Q&A pools are periodically updated to remove out-of-date questions and
add new ones.

> Does the FCC require that it be a list of multiple choice questions?

Yes. Been that way for more than 40 years.

Multiple choice means that there is one and only one correct answer, and no
examiner interpretation is needed or possible. The test is completely objective
- either you pick the right answer or you don't.

> If you want a fair but thorough way of assuring that new licensees pay the
> dues, why not do it on the basis of an oral exam? Each candidate spends 30
> minutes before a panel of three very experienced VEs (maybe 25 years each).
> The VEs ask questions reflecting the scope of the standard question pool.
> This need not be done in either a hostile or high pressure atmosphere. The
> objective is for candidates to demonstrate that they know what they're
> talking about. The decision to pass or fail is based on a majority vote of
> the three VEs.

Which would be an *extremely* subjective test. FCC would never go for it.

This is the time honored format that is traditionally used as the Final

> Exam for PhDs.

Should an Extra class amateur radio license be the equivalent of a Ph. D? I
think not!

73 de Jim, N2EY