As an inactive VE (active up to a few years ago), I understand that in order to
be a:

Technician, you must pass the Technician written exam.
General, you must pass all the above and the General exam.
Extra, you must pass all the above, and the Extra (and 5 wpm exam).

Having a license or a CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam) is
all the proof you need that you passed an exam [CSCE's are only good for 1
year, after which, you must retest]. A CSCE won't be good for much if they dump
the CW requirement, because often times a CSCE would be filled out if a person
passed one of two elements required for a license (e.g. in the not so distant
past, a Novice had to pass the 5 WPM code and Novice written exam - pass one
and fail the other, and you would take home a CSCE until you could later pass
the other required element). It's been a long time, but I believe any one who
passes an exam receives a CSCE just in case their paperwork gets lost in the
system. They can hang onto the CSCE until their license arrives in the mail (or
is registered in the FCC's database).

A VE testing session usually started with the lowest numbered elements (2 -
Novice, 3a- Tech, 3b- General, 4a- Advanced, 4b- Extra) along with a separate
testing area for the morse code elements (1a - 5 wpm, 1b - 13 wpm, 1c - 20
wpm).

If you were unlicensed, and managed to pass the following exams, in order, 2,
3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 1c - then you could have walked out of that testing session
with the expectation of soon receiving the Extra Class license in the mail a
few weeks later. Nothing requires you to be licensed before you take the Extra
exam - however, I believe the VE's may require you to have passed the exams
that preceed the Extra exam before they will allow you to take the Extra exam.

My statements may, or may not, reflect the current state of VE testing exams in
the U.S., and they may, or may not, reflect your experience with testing exams
- and they are just a faint memory for me.

73,
Daniel AA0NI