Gerald,
          As a proponent of the KISS principle you should know that CW, RTTY
and I think PSK31 can all be done by the K3 without any 3.5mm cables or
sound card additions.
          I have used the free K3 Utility program and the serial port cable
you will already have connected to your K3 for updates to use RTTY.  I have
even had respectable run rates in contests with this simple setup.  I see
PSK31 as a choice there in the program but have not tried it.  Again, all of
this is ready "out of the box" with the free K3 Utility program and the
serial connection you will have for K3 updates.
          My logging program by N3FJP sends CW with the K3 as well.  For
that I have a USB to 1/4 inch phono plug cable from the computer to the
manual key jack on the back of the K3.  No other connections needed and it
is a simple way to use CW via keyboard while the paddles also can be
connected and working at the same time for fills, serial numbers etc.  Note
that this method requires a logging program that sends CW and a USB to 1/4
inch phono plug.  This cable was suggested by someone on the list and I can
dig that info up if you need it.
          I have no connection with the above mentioned products, just a
satisfied user.  You can do the soundcard connections if you wish but this
KISS method has worked for me.  YMMV.
73,
Joe W8JH,  K3 1713, KPA 132

-----