Ken,

It all depends.  If your connection to line in is for data modes, then
no problem - set line in as the MIC SEL entry for DATA modes.

OTOH, if you are using line in for voice modes, you will be forced to
set MIC + LIN on in the menu, and in that case, both the microphone and
Line In will be live.

If your setup does not require MIC + LIN, then the 3 audio inputs - FP
mic, RP mic and line in are mutually exclusive.

So bottom line, the answer to your question depends on your operating
needs and you setup.
If you do need to use both a microphone and Line in for voice modes, I
suggest that you connect a microphone to the soundcard and let the
software application sort things out for you.

73,
Don W3FPR