Google "SeaSonde" ... I used to work within a few hundred yards of
two of them ... one near Waldport, OR and one on Yaquina Head, OR.
Both are housed in the utility areas of public bathrooms. (;-) I have
numerous photos.

There are hundreds of ionospheric sounders scattered all over the
world.  The NBS operates one behind one of the NBS buildings in
Boulder, CO.

Noise from Jupiter is common throughout the HF range and can
sometimes seen in PSK waterfall displays.

I used to work in radio astronomy, BTW

73!

Ken - K0PP