I recently made a shack upgrade possibly of interest to others.
While the K2 is tops, it's little internal speaker is, well, little.

What I did, working backwards from output to input:

   - Hooked up some decent speakers to
   - 2 channel 65 W car audio amplifier, hooked in turn to
   - Behringer UB1002 mixer (see zzounds.com).

Then to the mixer I hooked up the K2, Grundig Satellit 700, Yaesu
dual bander, and last but not least, the TenTec regenerative receiver
kit my 12 year old son recently built (a future Elecraft customer I
bet!).

What's nice:

   - Punchier audio, making copying much easier
   - Centralized audio control
   - Same system can be used for music
   - Stereo placement of radios.  That is, vhf or swl can be placed
     way off to the right, quietly, while waiting for a net or
     program to begin.  Meanwhile, a little background music can be
     placed to the left, while sending/copying CW, centered.

It's really a nice set up, simple, and not too expensive especially
if you have some unused car audio equipment laying around.  The
mixer I mention above costs about $60.

73,
Mike  AB3AP