The K3 also does fine on sound card modes with the VOX. (If I
can remember to turn it on/off when I switch between data and
SSB.) Even if you want to run with wired keying, you can turn on
VOX to see if your keying connection is set up correctly. If the
transmitter keys when your computer sends sound in VOX mode, but
not with the wire, then the problem is in the wire/computer
control (or the VOX level config).

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV