Hi Don,

Every now and then on this subject, I have to throw in this rather
significant (IMHO) caveat on all this talk about how good the DSP
bandwidth is.  I have an old MP, INRAD 8 pole filters in 8 and 455
IF's, that has selectivity just barely matched by a K3 with 8 pole
roofing filter AND DSP set for skirt alignment.  The DSP by itself is
nowhere near the MP's selectivity, sorry. Not close.

There is a point in CW contesting, where if you want to continue on a
run frequency, you will have to be able to deal with a MUCH louder
signal just a few hundred Hz up or down, and try to copy a MUCH weaker
signal in band. And since the K3 is so clean in matters intermod, it
really IS possible to deal with a 35 over 9 signal just up and copy an
S1 signal in band, a mere 80 dB difference. IF you also want the
desired signal to be 20 dB louder than the undesired signal in the
audio, you are trying to create a separation of 100 dB !!

IF you also want to be able to hear the forever present off-frequency
callers, who to be kind, may actually be physically incapable of
closely matching two tones (quite common actually), or to not be kind,
don't have enough sense to listen first off a packet spot... if all of
these, you will NOT be able to narrow down to super narrow to get rid
of Mr 35over9 without giving up on all the +/- callers.

Once you have figured out that 1/4 of all your contacts are "off
frequency" then you have to maintain a barely adequate bandwidth.  In
my experience that is done using the 8 pole "250" roofing filter
(really 330), and very carefully aligning the offset in setup, so that
the roofing filter skirts are centered on the DSP skirts with width at
350,  MEASURING AT THE -30 dB POINTS ON BOTH SIDES.

This produces a remarkably sharp, very steep skirt, that equals the
remarkable selectivity of my MP with INRAD 400 and 250 8 pole filters
in the 8 and 455 IF's.  Of course the MP never had the IMD
performance. With aligned skirts, the K3 delivers the selectivity of
the MP WITHOUT the 6 dB of IMD crud down at the bottom covering up 6
dB of Russians on 40 meters. And then there's key click cancelling,
see below.

With the shift control set for 10 Hz increments, Mr 35over9 can be
edged out with just a tick or two up or down on the shift, and STILL
have enough band width to get the other 25% of the callers.

You will not accomplish this on a good antenna without a roofing
filter that matches your preferred operating bandwidth.

For those who can't stand key clicks, this procedure has another
benefit.  This very sharp combination skirt turns a key click from up
or down into an amplitude-reduced very sharp waveform that has a very
quick onset and very quick drop out, e.g. a ** PULSE **. Because the
AGC can now reach down farther, some mistakenly think this is making
the click WORSE.  But it's only turned the click into a REDUCED
AMPLITUDE pulse.  The K3 is WONDERFUL at dealing with pulses, so the
DSP NB settings of T1-7 T2-7 and T3-7, IF NB **off**, with AGC set to
skip pulses, kills the clicks from the guy up above or down below.

The K3 is the only radio I know of that can deal with serious clicks
and maintain a satisfactory run frequency bandwidth in such ghastly
conditions.  But you CANNOT do this just with the DSP bandwidth. You
need a matching 8 pole roofing filter with offset adjusted to make
roofing and DSP skirts align 30 dB down.

That said, conversational use outside of contests, where you don't
have super signals just up and down, you might be hard pressed to hear
the pumping, even using the 5 pole standard 2.7 filter on CW.  The DSP
AGC will suck up a lot of the hardware variation if you are on FAST
AGC and don't run PRE on and RF gain wide open all the time on low
bands.

73, Guy.