On 3/26/2012 10:13 AM, Edward R. Cole wrote:
> I would guess my station is not "typical", but after several station
> setups in different houses,  I decided to have my radio desk set out
> from the wall three feet so I could walk in back for dressing cables
> or making changes (which is continuous in my station).

Yes, that's a really good way to do it if you have the space. I don't,
so my operating desk is built onto the wall, but mounted to the wall in
such a manner that there's a gap of about two inches between the desktop
and the wall for cables to pass below it. There's a shelf below it also
held away from the wall, that holds power supplies, stubs, and even a
few antenna switches, and a shelf above it, also held away from the
wall, that holds antenna tuners, a YCCC SO2R box, computer video
monitor, rotator controllers, etc.  that need some operator interaction.

Locating the desk away from the wall is a HUGE help when hooking up
radios and accessories. I've operated at N6RO's contest station, which
is configured that way, and it's really convenient.  wish I had the
space to do that.

73, Jim K9YC