I'd like to thank Dale, at Elecraft, for helping me work through this
problem. Possibly the steps we went through may help someone who runs into a
similar problem. Items in quotes are my thoughts/explanations. This is a
first time issue for me, and I would consider it quite a rare occurrence
based on my K3 experiences:

(My problem started with a working, properly configured radio that suddenly
started displaying "ERR TXF" when keyed in SSB. The radio worked correctly
in CW. I suspect either or both of two things: fumble fingering the keys
when trying to record new KDVR3 messages or a static spike. It is possible
that these were strictly coincidental too.)

The TXF error is a SOFTWARE issue, it has nothing to do with hardware.
If you have confirmed that the 2.8 Khz filter is in the slot that it really
is in (Slot #1 is the first slot on the right as you look down into the
radio from front) and that in the CONFIG:FL 'n' BW the 'n' matches the slot
number that the filter is in (if you have multiple filters then they must be
arranged widest to narrowest in lowest slot number to highest slot number)
along with CONFIG:FL TX SB being correct, then you may have a corrupt memory
workspace.
Do you know how to do a parameter initialization?  That will correct the
corruption. (This is EE INIT, follow instructions in the owner manual.)

(My problem returned...)

Are you reloading an older configuration after doing the EE INIT?
If so, you need to manually reconfigure everything.  The "glitch" can get
saved in the configuration file.
(By "manually reconfigure" he meant via the CONFIG Menu on the radio itself,
NOT via the K3 Utility program.)

(The sequence I followed was: 1) Hand copy all of my important parameters
(assuming you're not using all the default values) 2) Perform "EE INIT". 3)
Test to see if the problem was resolved.
4) Using the CONFIG Menu, re-enter all of my personal settings (filters, AGC
and such). 5) Test again to see if the problem remained resolved. If it
tests good 6) Erase all saved configurations for the radio in question in
the K3 Utility Program.
7) Save to new working configuration. 8) Test again, heck if only for peace
of mind. If good, pop open an 813 and do a little jig (wired jig
preferred... hihi) )

73,
Julius

-----