> I thought about going the Radio Shack electret element route myself.
> The only reason I didn't is I wanted the ability to use the headset
> with another radio besides the K3.

Since all of the "communications headsets" seem to have 3.5mm mic and
headphone jacks, one will need some kind of adapter to use them with
the "normal" 8 pin "Foster" and RJ-45 mic jacks.  Adapting an electret
element does not take anything more than a 5.6K resistor and a 1 uF
capacitor ... the cap goes in series with the mic line and the resistor
goes from the "fixed" 5 to 8 volt pin to the junction of the cap and
the mic element.  Those components can generally fit inside the 8-pin
mic plug along with a lead for PTT (to an RCA or 1/4" jack) and a
lead with 3.5mm jack for the mic.

You will need three such adapters ... one for "Kenwood", one for
Icom (no resistor or cap) and one for Yaesu/Ten-Tec ... in your kit
to cover all the rigs.  Similarly, it will take three RJ-45 adapters
- Kenwood TS-480, Yaesu (FT-817/857/897/900) and Icom (703/706/7000)
- to cover any eventuality.

The only difference is that the Kenwood and Yaesu/Ten-Tec adapters
will need the RC network for an electret mic whilst adapters for a
dynamic mic will require a (series) blocking capacitor for Icom rigs.

There is no significant difference in "degree of difficulty" building
adapters for an electret vs. dynamic mic.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV