It was reported:

> ... the KX1 wins handsdown for backpacking...

Strange!  Before the KX1 came out, the K1 was generally acknowledged as the
best multi-band backpacking rig available.  It is no less suitable for that
task today.

If one is happy with the limited number of bands covered by the KX1, and
recognizes that there is absolutely **no** physical way that KX1 receiver RF
performance can match that of a properly constructed  K1 in any area other
than VFO stability, and that the ATU in the KX1 can't come close to the
matching range of the K1's KAT1, then the KX1 is a great choice.  On the
other hand, if RF performance *on the ham CW bands* is important, the K1
stands as the best of the two.

When I'm out in the boonies, I want the best possible RF performance on the
ham CW bands that I can get in a small package.  The K1 hasn't been shaken
from that position.

I don't care that I can't use it for shortwave broadcasts or to copy the ham
phone bands.  I've got a Sony portable that'll do that quite adequately,
with essential AM/FM coverage to boot.

So whether the KX1 "wins handsdown" depends on the criteria applied.  It
doesn't "win" for me, handsdown or otherwise.

73,
Mike / KK5F