Callsign restructuring occurred in March 1978. 2X1, 2X2 and N-prefixed
1X3 callsigns would've become available nationally at that point.
AA-prefixed 2X2 calls had been used during the U.S. bicentennial and
were released to areas that had run out of "preferred" (Extra) calls.
N-prefixed 1X2 calls were released about the same time, in approximately
1977. 2X1 calls didn't become available until '78. The first time I
heard on on the air was AB9W, who got quite a bit of ribbing for having
a "backwards- literally, if you look at it- callsign.

73,
Scott, N9AA