On 4/28/2012 6:22 AM, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
> Fred,
>
> Do the "spurs" appear on all bands?

Yes

> Are the "spurs" still there if you disconnect the antenna from your K3?

Yes

> When you tune, does the fequency of each spur change by the same amount
> as the change in "zero beat" frequency due to tuning?

Yes.  I can't "tune to the P3 signal"

> If the "spurs" disappear, then their source is outside of the K3 - P3 of
> course. The answer to my third question would help to determine whether
> or not the "spurs" are being "heard" by a spurious response of the K3's
> receiver, be the source internal or external, and which response.

I think the problem is I don't have the K3 IF level mod [replace a
resistor I think].  I finally dug out the service monitor and calibrated
my K3 S-meter [after about 3 years :-)].  It had always seemed a little
"stingy," as we used to say.  Then I set the P3 gain to give me -73 dBm,
and I had to turn it way up ... way way up.  My guess right now is that
it is so high that the stray signals from the K3 are showing up.  I
guess I'll need to make the IF mod.

Thanks and 73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA