Joe -

The performance of each of these radios is so good that important (perhaps
more so) to consider 1) what you'll be doing with them and 2) what your
operating "aesthetic" is.

For me the strength of the K2 is high performance simplicity, for CW
operation, in a low-power, analog, user-serviceable design. Despite its age
it doesn't feel outdated to me.

The KX3: More modes, more bands, more easily expandable/flexible (software
defined), digital features (NR, DSP, APF, ...), more portable, and if it's
K3-like, perhaps a smoother, more quality feel to the UI.

Elecraft has (again) designed two different radios with little overlap
(though each one could probably work fine as your only station).

Andrew, NV1B
..