Ed,

> what happens when that choke fails the plate blocking cap builds up
> a neg charge on the pi side and has no way to discharge untill it
> goes to receive and it discharges through the pre amp.

But with the PR6 one would expect that negative voltage to impact the
KAT3, the lowpass filters, the PIN diode T/R switch in the KPA3, and
the PIN diode T/R switch on the mainboard *before* it got to the
pre-amp.  There are DC paths to ground, blocking caps and several
sensitive components between the antenna jack and the PR-6 that I would
expect to be take the brunt of a discharge before the PR-6 was damaged.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV