Howdy, folks;

     I really do think some of the thought processes have gone to the
extreme.  I happen to know the fellow who had presented the original
point or desire for a "courtesy beep" function.  Dick (Richard) is very
well qualified, is an extremely good example of all phases of
communications, courtesy, etc., etc.

     There are some responses that make Dick look like he just got his
brand new "ham ticket" but still yearns for the good old days, when his
radio would send a series of three to five beeps or whoops.  No, Dick is
about as far from the CB lingo and operation as one can imagine.  This
is nit to say that "this sort of communication" is wrong or bad, but
most might agree that might not like to endure a whoop at the end of
every radio transmission.

     Dick had mentioned that he uses a headset.  His PTT function is
quite to the point that is is virtually non-existent.  Now, if he or
others have a relaxed, slow speech "gait" (for the lack of a better
word) the words that stop being voiced may be a simple PAUSE as a
further thought is being considered, or it might simply be the end of
what he had to say at that moment.  -Now all of you know this, but I
just wanted to be clear as to how this might almost "invite" another
person to jump in with a "seemingly fit" reply. -Which might actually
occurring at the same time that the other party resumes his statements.
(DOUBLING, in other words...)

      I also do NOT want or like the thought of a chat that involves a
harsh set of beeps!  I do not like the thought of even ONE offensive beep.

     To be effective, a "noise" that lets others know that a PTT button
has been released should (stressing SHOULD, here) be subtle.  If a
"courtesy beep" is made up of only a few cycles of an audio tone, it
largely becomes a CLICK.  THIS would be good, in my opinion.  The
"click" should also be LOW IN AMPLITUDE.  -This would also be good.

     The problem is this:  The K3 is TOO GOOD!  One cannot tell is the
radio has stopped transmitting!  A little low-amplitude click or beep is
a valid thought.  One could make the end-of-transmission "announcement"
as long and as loud as desired or might be deemed needed.  Or, it can be
TURNED OFF, just like the two-tone generator that Dick had mentioned.
(We'd still have control over the "Roger Beep..!)  (I'd hope...)

     Sincere 73 to all who might consider;   -Mike-   KØJTA