My speaker approach was a pair of formerly "rear" speakers in a surround
sound system - SONY in this case. Having stereo speakers provides (most of
the time) the same effect as stereo headphones - when the sub-rx is on, DX
from the left side and pileup from the right side - although it's easier to
"work" through the pileup with phones.

My problem is  not with the speaker/phone volume, but with the monitor
(sidetone) volume. When it's set more-or-less normally for speaker use,
it's much too loud for use with the "cans" on.

My daily (and therefore also for DX) logging program is DXLabs. Commander
provides a host of User Defined Controls - one of which I use to alter the
monitor level - significantly lowering it before slapping on the
headphones. Then, the second push, when I'm finished, restores MON to the
old level.

Art - N4PJ