Hi Drew,

I have been running a Boltek long range lightning detector that is part
of a network of detectors for tracking storms. Gives me range and
bearing on strikes. I can watch an electrical storm coming from further
than I can hear the thunder. Boltek also has a electric field detector
used by stadiums and other public out door events to warn of likely
lightning strikes that has high short range accuracy. The one I have is
accurate at long ranges.

http://boltek.com/stormtracker.html
http://boltek.com/ProductComparison.html
http://www.strikestarus.com/index.aspx?id=10

If you do web searches on lightning detection you can find simple sensor
designs. this is another area where the complexity is in the software
and the receiver not the sensor.

73, tom n4zpt
P.S. use of term "EMP" is odd in this discussion as "EMP" as an acronym
I have always associated only with nuclear weapons effects.