On 6/17/2012 5:17 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> I would suggest that the answers vary "all over the board".  In my
> particular case, I run resonant antennas due to an agreement with the
> XYL when we married - she said she did not want to see antennas or
> feedlines when coming up the driveway.  That has been accomplished, but
> at the expense of long feedlines (150 feet minimum, 220 feet typical),
> so I keep the SWR low at the antenna field end of things and use
> resonant antennas.

Once I got the tower/tribander by Andrea and she stopped referring to it
as "Mission Control," the rest was easy.  We're on 5 acres, it's way out
back, not really visible at all [try and find it on Google Earth].  But,
I like the lower frequency bands.  I have lots of Organic Towers, all
poorly placed by the Organic Gardener, so I rely on a couple of
non-resonant wires for 160-40.  With the baluns, the coax VSWR runs
around 1:1 to 2.5:1.  The latter is too much for the KPA500, I'm really
fatigued cranking the MFJ tuner around and it doesn't work all that
reliably anyway, so the KAT500 is on order.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org