Stephen,

The broadcast-band preselector components on the ATU option do in fact
optimize receive performance in the 0.5-1.5 MHz range. However, the
criteria being optimized by the preselector is rejection of harmonic
images (typical of a zero-I.F. receiver), not necessarily sensitivity.

As I posted to the reflector in March of this year (and on other
occasions), the KX3 includes a multi-pole high-pass characteristic
within the T/R switch to attenuate mega-size BC band stations below
1.5 MHz that might affect RF switches and PIN diodes. This is also
noted in the Specifications section of the manual, under "Sensitivity
(MDS)".

I see that the KX3 sales brochure isn't clear on this point, and I'll
fix that.

One thing I can do in firmware is allow the user to manually tune the
ATU's LC network to peak a given AM-band signal. I'll eventually add
this as an alternative to the "canned" preselector settings, which
were based on a compromise antenna (50' center-fed random wire).

73,
Wayne
N6KR