I use Outlook. All I need do is click on how I want messages displayed for
viewing. Like Don, I prefer "Arrange by Date" as my default. But, if I want
to see a thread, I just click on "Arrange by Conversation" and get windows
listing the sequence of messages by threads. I can step through each message
or go to any one I want. I can all get lists of messages from someone, sent
to someone, by subject line, etc.

Active filters monitor all incoming messages to direct them to the desired
folders from which I can do all of the above. Since I work via the Internet
with many people, I have over 100 folders in which messages are dropped
automatically (and the system alerts me when folders contain unread
messages).

And then there's the powerful search functions that allow me to enter
keywords such as "KX3" or "portable antenna" which will group and display
all of the messages that contain the selected keywords even, if I so choose,
if they are in different threads or folders.

Ron AC7AC