There is a menu setting that can be different between the two.  Inp on the
first menu can be set to PdLn or PdLr, or HAnd.  Also if one goes to the
menu Inp and then does a "hold" on EDIT, tapping DISPLAY will toggle and
show the resultant state of Autodetect feature, which will allow both
straight key and paddle to be hooked up to the rig at the same time if
turned on.

See
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740001_K2%20Owner's%20Manual%20Rev%20I.pdf
page 99 and elsewhere.

Also do NOT attempt to make sense of what happens if a shorted state exists
on either paddle lead when the rig is turned on.  If either paddle lead is
shorted when the rig is turned on, the K2 will abide by a firmware
directive not to key the transmitter with a key/paddle assertion in force
when it is powered up.  So as soon as you key the rig, the shorted state is
now paid attention to.  This initiates the behavior you refer to.  Easily
caused by using a mono plug instead of a stereo plug.

73, Guy.