I don't understand this response. Why would he need to use 2 serial
ports or Y adapters? He states that a full serial port will run from
computer to interface box, where the serial signals will be broken out
as required for PTT and CW. Presumably the KXSER rs-232 cable could
run between interface box and the KX3 to convey RXD and TXD. What am I
missing?

Bob NW8L

Bill,

You may want to re-think using the serial port on your interface.

Most data mode applications like to use the same COM port for rig
control (OK, maybe just frequency display) as they use to activate DTR
or RTS for PTT.

Given that the KX3 supplied cables only have RXD and TXD signals, using
the serial port to generate PTT requires that either you use 2 serial
ports (one may be the KX3 USB cable and the other can be a real port or
USB to Serial adapter), or provide a "Y" adapter to go to your
interface.  Use of the "Y" adapter precludes the use of the KX3 USB cable.

There is nothing wrong with generating PTT from the audio stream, or
just using VOX in the KX3.

73,
Don W3FPR