I ran a 240V line for the same reason - excessive drop when operating the amp
(not the KPA500) from a 120V line. As an experiment, I went around the house
measuring the voltage drop at various distances from the breaker panel by
plugging in a 1000-watt hair dryer. I knew what the results would be -
increased drop as distance from the panel increased - but it was neat to
"prove" it to myself.

The hamshack is at the opposite end of the house but a dedicated 240V line
solved the problem:
http://www.ae5x.com/blog/2011/05/14/mains-stability-during-transmit/

John AE5X