Vic K2VCO wrote:
>On 8/12/2012 1:25 PM, stan levandowski wrote:
>> For those Listers who don't know what Ultimatic keying is all about -
>> and are afraid to ask  - here is a description by Chuck Olson WB9KZY and
>> some references also: http://wb9kzy.com/ultimat.txt
>>
>> 73, Stan WB2LQF

In a few words: when you squeeze the key, Ultimatic doesn't send
alternating dots and dashes - it "interrupts" whichever ones you were
already sending, to send the opposite character instead. The Ultimatic
logic is "last paddle pressed, always wins".

The Ultimatic system is more forgiving of small timing errors because it
doesn't ever store a trailing character from the opposite paddle. In
most implementations, Ultimatic allows plenty of time to release either
paddle (if that's what you need to do) before it takes a fresh look at
both paddles.

Ultimatic is favored by two very different groups of people:

1. People who can read Morse faster than their fingers will send it, so
they are *always* sending at their personal upper limit.

2. Extreme High Speed operators, who are sending at *their* upper limit,
too... but for very different reasons.

>You guys got me interested, and I have a keyer that supports it, so I tried it.
>
>Couldn't send C's or K's. Both of which are in my call!

Well, yeah...  Ultimatic has got to feel different from the system
you're already used to. (If it wasn't different, it would be the same
:-)

But the main point is that both the K3 and the KX3 offer an extremely
limited set of menu options for the built-in CW keyer - which also is
the ONLY way to send RTTY or PSK from the paddles.

When the $6 K12 keyer chip offers a wider range of options than the K3
and the KX3 do, something is out of balance in the feature list. It is
surely time for those additional options (including bug and Ultimatic)
to be made available "inside the box".

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek