I agree with Dick on this one as well. Guy put it well in his reply-
Installing beta firmware should be a very deliberate process, taken on by
the user who knows he is trying something that is perhaps "not ready for
prime time". The process for loading beta firmware, including downloading
files, unpacking and installing is all spelled out. Perhaps this procedure
could be re-written to make it clearer for some, but it has always been fine
for me. As for this comment:

> ~If you keep "non-technical types" wrapped up in cotton wool, then how
will
> they ever become technical or real hams?

My answer would be, by encouraging them to learn how things work, such as
the downloading and installing of trial firmware to their radio, instead of
spoon-feeding the process behind an automated menu.

I think the current system of firmware distribution works well. Those who
are interested in becoming early adopters, with all the potential risks and
benefits, would be better served by having them learn how to do it properly.
I do not believe the current process is excessively burdensome. The skills
required are basic computer skills. Of course, it's only my opinion.
FWIW es 73,
Bruce, N1RX