Ahh, so it is more complicated that I previously thought.
Splitting/rotting bungee cords would certainy make them unsuitable for this
application.  The phrase "GEAR Resistance Shock Cord Assemblies" is
something I hadn't heard of until I started googling around following the
suggestion of using bungee cords.  I presume the fancy title indicates that
they are more expensive than run of the mill bungee cords.  These
particular items are intended for use in the bungee jumping industry; as
in, human beings jumping from great heights and being saved from certain
doom by these items.  If that is truly the case then maybe these have more
durability than the Chinese made Harbor Freight variety.  I guess someone
has to try them out to see if they are suitable for this application, any
bungee jumpers out there willing to give it a go and report back your
results?

Rick McClelland, AA5S
Fort Collins, CO