DW,

You have a bad solder connection somewhere, and it is not necessarily in
the audio section - it can be anywhere in the receive chain, including
the noise blanker and the KSB2 option if those are installed.

Use a constant signal source such as a XG1, XG2, XG3 signal generator
set for a 50 uV output.  Tune in the generator output and make some
observations - does the S-meter drop when the audio drops?  If so, the
problem is prior to the output of the IF amplifier.  OTOH, if the
S-meter stays constant and the audio drops, the problem is after the IF
amplifier output.

I can't help much with specifics beyond that to further locate the
problem.  You might "shotgun" it by re-flowing the soldering with a hot
(750 degF) soldering iron - add a tiny bit of flux if necessary.
Examine your solder connections carefully.  I know nothing of your
soldering capability, so please no insult if you are an expert.  If your
soldering level is expert, the most likely is that you missed a solder
connection somewhere.

A good solder connection will have the solder flowing out to an almost
invisible edge on both the solder pad and the component lead.  There may
be a small concave fillet at the connection.  If your solder looks more
like "balls" (convex) or there is a ring around a component lead, that
is  a problem.

73,
Don W3FPR