Agree - for contesting I've been using Win-test, keying it with RTS,
even through a USB to serial adapter for the configured CAT com port.

Usually I key in 28-35 WPM, and with sound OFF on the computer, it works
fine.

Only rarely it messes up the timing of the CW code, but in practice it
works like a charm.

Done so on my K2, and lately setting the same up on my Kx3

/OZ2BRN - Brian