Fred,

Clearly, my QTH on the shore of Lake Erie about 15 miles East of
Cleveland, Ohio is not as quiet as yours. I don't doubt that the K3
could benefit from a preamp on 10 meters -- IF -- one lives in a quiet
enough location to be able to appreciate it. My location does not qualify.

I compared the K3 rx performance on 10m with that of my FLEX-5000A, and
both indicate  the noise floor rising about 8 to 9 dB when the Hex Beam
is connected. So, it's clear to me that the ambient noise level of my RF
environment already exceeds the noise floor of the receivers, and I
wouldn't benefit from the PR-10.

Please note: I am not saying that the PR-10 would not be beneficial for
some stations, and I'm quite sure that the Elecraft engineers wouldn't
develop and market the PR-10 for lack of anything better to do.  I've
always operated from this area, so it's the only RF environment I know,
and based upon my tests, the PR-10 would provide no benefit here, at
this QTH. It would be nice if the rf environment was a bit quieter, but
I'm still having fun.

73, Dale
WA8SRA