Hi All,

I've been tinkering with remote operation.  It's been on my "wish list"
since I saw my first demo by Paul, W9AC, at FDIM a few years ago.  He was
using his TS-480, which is a fairly easy rig to set up for remote operation.
I say "easy", but there is some complexity to it.  However, it is very
intriguing.

Right now I'm using my TS-480, and I've acquired the Swedish "RemoteRig"
system to accomplish the task.  This is a very nice system!  It makes the
process somewhat less complex than what W9AC was using.  However, what I
really have my eye on is the possibility of doing remote operation with my
K3.  Obviously, the K3 is a far better radio than the TS-480, and to have
something like that available on a remote basis would be very cool indeed.

Elecraft currently has the K3/0 unit available, and I got to see it in
action when Eric came down for our Tucson Hamfest a month or so ago.  Eric
was remote operating his K3 back in California, and it was very impressive
indeed.  He really has a Cadillac system set up, and some great software
which allows him to control just about everything in his shack--including
his antennas and amplifier!  The RemoteRig accessory package is part of the
system.

Eventually I may opt for the K3/0, but what I'm really hoping for is that
Wayne's inference that "someday" the KX3 might be a possibility to match
remotely with a K3 at your base location.  I sure hope this comes to pass,
since I also have a KX3.  The K3/0 is probably more capable, but it also has
more bulk.  However, since the architecture of the KX3 is different from the
K3, I suspect there will still be something else required to hang on the end
of the KX3 to enable remote operation.  I further assume that the RemoteRig
system (or something similar) will also be required.

Remote operating opens up a lot of doors.  For me, it's potentially very
beneficial.  We travel in the summer a good bit, and I can remote back to my
home station without having to drag along a lot more equipment and antenna
options.  Motel stays can be a lot more enjoyable!!!  Then there is the
plight of folks with deed restrictions.  What if you could set up something
remotely somewhere, outside the restriction area, and have a reasonably
competent station?  I'm sort of one of those too.  My antennas are
definitely compromise due to deed restrictions.

I can tell you, just from what I've been able to do so far, that remote
operation has improved to where just about all modes are possible with
reasonable efficiency.  I'm primarily CW, and the keying issue is pretty
effectively resolved with the RemoteRig system.  I can't do QSK, and there
is a very, very slight delay, but it's nominal.  It's not the "end all"
solution, but it's pretty darned good!  With my TS-480 I just have to carry
the remote head, the small RemoteRig control side box (another box is
connected at the other end with the radio itself), a computer, and a small
power supply.  You only need the computer to connect you to a WiFi system.
You do have to set up a "virtual private network (VPN) connection on the
computer, but once you do it once, you just activate it each time you begin
operation.  No additional software is required, although you can use some if
it suits you better.  It can get more complex at the base station end,
depending on what controllability features you want, like turning things on
and off, antenna control, etc.  The control head functions just as it would
if you were directly connected to the rig itself.  As long as the WiFi is
half way decent, you are in business!  A K3 based remote system would be
pretty much the same arrangement except you substitute the K3/0 for the
TS-480 remote head.

If this peaks anyone's interest, you might want to download the manual for
the RemoteRig system.  It describes how to set up  a system for various
rigs, including the K3.  Also, I'm sure others have considerably more
advanced setups than I have, so there may be a lot of additional info
available from this group, including corrections of anything I may have
misstated here.  I'm still in the "novice" class on remote operation, but
what I've been able to do so far is pretty fascinating.

Dave W7AQK