Well, it does actually say this in the manual:

"In AUTO mode, if you QSY such that the SWR rises above 1.8:1 the
KAT500 will automatically retune
when you transmit on the new frequency. The KAT500 will open the key
line to disable your amplifier
briefly until the tune cycle is completed. The new frequency and
settings are stored in memory."

That 1.8:1 threshold is configurable, per-band ... and the opening of
the keying line during auto-tune is the part that can be problematic
for some types of amplifier, so further conditions are being
considered....

73,

    ~iain / N6ML